Monday, September 10, 2007

The phrasebook

I have quite a healthy collection of phrasebooks for most of the languages of Europe. From Turkey to Portugal and from Poland to Italy.

As a rule, the phrases seem to be pretty much the same. "Two beers please". "Where is the airport?" "Excuse me, can you speak English?"

This one is different though, and I'm hoping someone can advise me why it's different. It's Greek. It contains two phrases I have never seen in phrasebooks of any other language. The phrases are "Let's make love", and "Help, I've been raped".

What does this tell the prospective holidaymaker about her visit to Falariki? Just as the phrasebooks of the fifties included the likes of, "Please make sure my carriage is there at seven, Pedro", or "We will be dining on the terrace this evening", showed the plebs that the life they would expect in whatever country they were visiting was not for them unless they had won the pools (there was no lottery in those days), these new ones paint a strange picture of Greece or Cyprus.

I think I may decide to go to Honduras next year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

? Could ahve sworn I left a comment here last week?!!!

Ah well, another 9/11 conspiracy theory.

I wrote that the first phrase I could understand being in the book as most youngsters go on holiday to get their rocks off however the second seems incredible.

Saturday, 15 September, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home