Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Some Stupid Marketeer

Y'know (and Carien's not going to be happy to read this), I've always thought marketing was an easy job. On the one hand, you have people with stuff they want to sell. On the other hand, you have people who want to buy the stuff the first lot of people want to sell. The Marketeer's job is to find the people who want to buy the stuff the Marketeer's clients want to sell.

Sounds easy. Bit of advertising, some market research, talk to the designers and hey presto, Bob's your zygotic mynki, you've done your marketing, made money and can go off and do it again.

Today though, I've learned to appreciate how hard it can be. Now obviously, the best way to appreciate the skill it takes to carry on a trade is to see somebody do it spectacularly badly. Well today, I've done exactly that.

I came home from work to find, as usual, a menu from a Chinese food delivery company. (I get dozens of those every week). This one though is from a Chinese restaurant in the Great Cambridge Road and some stupid marketeer has named it....

...wait for it...

CHASING DRAGON!!!!!

I mean, unless all its customers really are smack heads, who on earth is going to buy from someone called "Chasing Dragon"? Not me, that's for sure.

8 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Gavin and Six are/ were involved in amrketing...someone else too but can't quite remember.

Is it really cahsing? seems really odd and totally non associated with Dragon! Maybe Cha Sing means something in Mandarin!!

Friday, 25 May, 2007  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Yes, I'm afraid it really is "Chasing Dragon" Capital Cee, little aitch, ay, ess eye en gee. And I'm pretty sure the only association between chasing and dragons is smoking heroin.

Hehe, I didn't know anybody was a marketeer apart from Carien but the truth is, it's a job I have a lot of respect for really. It's very hard to do well.

Friday, 25 May, 2007  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Blimey! What a dumb ass I am: thsi is where the (doh) smiley would work well!

I didn't know that but of course I was thinking Mandarin and this is from Cantonese slang ;-)

Chasing the Dragon

Sunday, 27 May, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

so good to see that you actually write: "I didn't know anybody was a marketeer apart from Carien"

*polishing her nails and smiling faintly*

no dear, not in the whole wide world.

Tuesday, 05 June, 2007  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Oops... that should have been "anybody I knew who was a marketeer". I mean. If you were the only one, you'd be extremely rich.

Tuesday, 05 June, 2007  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I might get a bit sniffy over this...

Sunday, 10 June, 2007  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

To quote a brain surgeon I know about his trade, "what I do isn't rocket science!" ;)

Same with marketers.

(We members of t' H'institute prefer marketer to marketeer but it doesn't really matter!)

Sunday, 10 June, 2007  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

What *I* do isn't rocket science either, but just for the record, I can do delta vees in my head.

Sunday, 01 July, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home