Sunday, June 11, 2006

World Cup and such and stuff

I've been silent far too long (well not silent exactly, because I was still posting on the BBC website and the Alternative History website, but silent here).

Now though, it's the world cup. I've been to the bookies to hand over my biennial ten quid (England 5 quid to win at 6-1 not good value but I feel strangely confident for a change. Australia 1 quid each way at 80-1 a flutter I know but I've a feeling Harry Kewell and the lads could surprise some of their opponents, they've already beaten Uruguay and I see no reason they can't beay Japan or even Brazil. Australia, USA and Ivory Coast to win their groups. I have to say Ivory Coast's chances faded away against Argentina, I'm so used to Argentina being overrated, I never expected the hype to be pretty much true.)

So.. impressions. I found the England game almost as frustrating as Peter Crouch did, that referee didn't like him one bit. That much was obvious. I enjoyed the Argentina game obviously and the Trinidad-Sweden game was fun, although I was hoping for the Caribbean lads to put one past the Swedes at the last moment. And then today, the Netherlands-Serbia & Montenegro game. Seeing the Dutch hanging back and desperately defending a one goal league, I felt so disappointed. Whatever happened to total football.

8 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Welcome back mr. Edwards!

Well, today's games were a pleasnat change. Czech Rebulic lived up to their hype and two (one sublime) from Tomas should make you feel proud that he'll be playing about 2Km from you next season :-)

Ghana would have won if they knew how to finish but what a good game - apart from poor nont giving penalty decision...and Australia (luckily for you) making it 3-1 but only in the last 5 - poor old Japan!

Monday, 12 June, 2006  
Blogger Span Ows said...

P.S....have you noticed how the R5LUKNEWSMB has turned to complete shite?

Monday, 12 June, 2006  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Well thanks Span.

Certainly the Ozzie game was lucky for me but the Czech one much less so.

My boss is Ghanaian but she hates football. I wonder if she watched.

I've just been bitten by a damn Mozzie.

I actually rate England's chances this time, despite some unaccountable selection decisions by Sven. I even thought Peter Crouch was worth picking (shame we couldn't have JANE Crouch though, that Mexican refereee was just ASKING for her left hook).

Way back when the draw was made, I remember the cheer from the Australian delegation when they found they had Brazil. Unlikely though it may be for them to beat Brazil, if they DO, I'd hate to have missed it.

As for R5Letc. yes, it's complete pants. If BBC wasn't on our preferred sites at work (so I could get away with it) I'd stop posting there.

Monday, 12 June, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

What's Alternative History Mr E?

Tuesday, 20 June, 2006  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Alternative History is the art/science/science fiction subgenre also known as "counterfactuals". It starts from the premise "What if... (say) the Confederacy had won the Americn Civil War" (for example) and looks at the consequences.

http://alternatehistory.com/discussion/index.php

Tuesday, 20 June, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

So you are saying alternatehistory is stuff you just make up....?

I write fiction...

Saturday, 24 June, 2006  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

That's right. It's stuff I make up. I described it as a SF subgenre.

Tuesday, 27 June, 2006  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Sigh - This was before I was banned from the Alternative History website.

Saturday, 24 December, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home