Wednesday, March 01, 2006

"Hypocracy"

Democracy and Hypocracy are the same thing as far as I can see...

Democracy from Greek Demos (people) and Kratia (rule) a government by the people.

Hypocracy, similar but with the Greek Hypo (below or under, compare with the hypodermic needle that gets drugs under the skin). So... Hypocracy, if such a word existed, would mean rule from below and, given that the majority in any society, are from the lower levels of society, it follows that those at the bottom could outvote the rest in a democracy.

Normally I can't be bothered to correct typos but I have actually seen hypocrisy spelled "hypocracy" on here more than I've seen it spelled correctly.

It's not illiteracy because if you ever look at letters by people with poor literacy, they tend to spell the longer words properly, because they looked them up in a dictionary, it's the short words they think they know that they tend to misspell.

Sorry to rant and I know it's off topic but it's one common misspelling that i find very irritating.

Thank you for listening. Rant over.

5 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

You tell 'em!

P.S. I like the joke!...:-)

Thursday, 02 March, 2006  
Blogger Span Ows said...

P.P.S. Please bear in mind the influx of 606ers to the UKMB; however it was much the same beforehand...hypocracy, hypocrasy, hypocricy etc...

Monday, 06 March, 2006  
Blogger flyingfinn said...

I've always considered myself a fairly good speller. English was one of my stronger subjects at school. Any spelling mistakes on here, are due to my poor typing skills. Honest guv.;-)

Wednesday, 08 March, 2006  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Nah hippocracy - ruled by horses innit?

Thursday, 16 March, 2006  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Or maybe it's Hippo crazy?

Saturday, 24 December, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home