Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Titles

I've talked about contemporary writers I like but there's another list I'd like to share. These are my favourite TITLES. They can be books, songs, films, albums, poems or whatever but they're all titles that make me laugh or smile or wince.

I'll start with some songs...

Broken Hearts are for Assholes by Frank Zappa
Praying to the Aliens by Tubeway Army.
New York Mining Disaster by the Bee Gees
Pissing in the River by Patti Smith

Then books...

The Minotaur Takes A Cigarette Break by Steven Sherrill (I'd never heard of this one but saw it in a bookshop and had to buy it. The book was dull but the title is marvellous)

Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack

An Interview with Ann Rice by Michael Riley

The Adventures of Una Persson and Catherine Cornelius in the Twentieth Century by Michael Moorcock

I was going to go onto Films next but the only one I can think of is the old Fredric March film, "Death Takes a Holiday" so I'll go onto albums instead.

Paranoid and Sunburnt by Skunk Anansie
13 by The Doors (An excellent name for a greatest hits album)
Music to Murder by (selected by Alfred Hitchcock)

Then poems...

Almost anything by William McGonnagal
When Lilacs last in the Dooryard Bloomed by Walt Whitman

And stories...

The Beast Who Shouted Love At The Heart of the World by Harlan Ellison
When Elephants Last in the Dooryard Bloomed by Ray Bradbury

6 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Corder said...

'Do androids dream of electric sheep?' was always a goodie.

Tuesday, 14 February, 2006  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Skunk Anansie was so good what ever happened to her (them!)...sorry, to pissed to think of any titles...maƱana

Tuesday, 14 February, 2006  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Gavin... yes, many of Dick's titles are much better than the movies they were made into. As you say, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is a far better title than Blade Runner... and "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale" is much better than Total Recall.

And then there are the ones that were not made into films... "Now Wait for Last Year", "The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch" (and I'd better stop because I'll end up with lots of Harlan Ellison titles that I imagine to be Dick "Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said". "'Repent Harlequin', Said the Ticktockman"

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Span...

I'm not sure whether Skunk Anansie are still going but Skin now lives in France with her boyfriend. She has produced an absolutely wonderful solo album ("Flesh Wounds") which I thoroughly recommend.

Wednesday, 15 February, 2006  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Thanks Alcuin, I'll look that up...I need some 'fresh tunes' and 'Flesh Wounds' may do the trick.

Friday, 17 February, 2006  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Any time Span. I have to say, I recommend the album more than download because there are some FINE shots of Skin's delectable frame. And with hair she looks just as beautiful but softer.

Friday, 17 February, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home