Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Vindaloo - another I wanted to keep

Nonsense, criticism does not damage our country. Helping out complete strangers does not damage our country. The best thing about the English and our Frisian and Danish ancestors is our adaptability.

No Englishman, I won't even say patriot because it's not about patriotism it's about the essence of Englishness, would EVER seek to turn the culture of MY country into something unchanging.

Forget the usual useless argument racists tend to make about people coming in, look at how England has changed in the past couple of years... Now you can buy sushi in Sainsburys (do you see THAT many Japanese people around, no it's English people eating Sushi. We go bungee jumping some of us (and that particular piece of madness came from New Zealand).

But one change, the brilliant change that makes me PROUD to be English because it can ONLY happen in England. I saw two buskers on the Underground playing together. There was a Chinese guy on bongoes and a white dreadlocked rasta playing the Didgeridoo.

We take the culture of the world and we make it OURS and yes, that makes me proud to be English.

THAT, my friend, is the England I'd happily fight for.

"Vindaloo... vindaloo, we're gonna score one more than you."

4 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Another great post! But I really can't be doing with white people and dreadlocks - what is athat all about - just looks manky to me...Sigh. Guess I'm an old fogey...

Saturday, 04 February, 2006  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Normally I'd agree with you about white dreads. I make three exceptions. Christina Aguilera and they're more cornrows than dreadlocks. Green from Scritti Pollitti and that's history. Skinny, the Greek-Cypriot Rasta fruit and veg seller from West Green Road in Tottenham - he's an exception partly because he's a real Rasta and partly because he's Skinny and it's his own unique stylee.

Saturday, 04 February, 2006  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I agree, another good post that I had completely missed! just caught a glimpse of the word Vindaloo in the sidebar...

Saturday, 11 February, 2006  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Okay. It's eleven years later and now *I* have dreadlocks. Sorry.

Wednesday, 26 April, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home