Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Pictures

In the past week I saw a couple of interesting films and I thought I'd just share them.

The first was called "Kenedi is Getting Married" by Serbian director Zelimir Zilnik http://www.raindance.co.uk/site/index.php?aid=418

It's a great film, mostly in German but some Romani (both the Serbian and Turkish versions, rather than the Anglo-Romany many in England know as "the Jib") about a Kosovar Gypsy who, after living there for seventeen years, was expelled from Germany (twice) and wanted to find a way to get back. He wants to marry a German called Max, who he met at a music festival in Novi Sad (it's a "civil partnership" in England but the film used the word "heiraten" which I take to mean "to marry" so I imagine it's called marriage in Germany).

Unfortunately, Kenedi (who played himself in the film even though the film is fictional) is something of an asshole and the whole thing falls through when Max catches him screwing a woman at his going away party.

Anyway, if it's ever on again, it's well worth watching. Afterward, my friend Natascha from work introduced me to Zelnik and to Max Steiner who played Max. Zelnik seemed very down to earth. He explained that he'd had to improvise all the scenes but for very different reasons to Mike Leigh. In Zelnik's case, he had to improvise the scenes because there's no point in writing a script when your star can't read and write.

That, believe it or not, was the first time I'd been to a cinema for 14 years (I'm fairly sure the last film I saw at a cinema was "The Net" with Sandra Bullock.)

The other film I watched this week was called "The Believer" by Henry Bean http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0247199/

It was on at 1:30 in the morning on film four and I'd been planning to go to bed beforehand. I didn't, couldn't look away even in the commercial breaks. I'd never even heard of it before.

I can see why it was on so late, but in view of the recent trial of neonazis in Israel, it's fairly topical. Somehow though, I don't think those young hooligans in Israel were anything like as intelligent as Daniel Balint.

Oh yes, and Glenn Fitzgerald was in the film. I thought he was great in "Series 7: The Contenders" as the young contender with testicular cancer. Hmm, while we're at it, that's another film you should see if you get half a chance. Especially anyone who loves or hates reality TV shows. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0251031/

7 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I'll never get round the fact that you once said that you pronounce your name Alk-win.

I still read Al-coo-in...

Friday, 12 October, 2007  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I've always 'read' Alkwin...

The Believer and Series 7: The Cotneders both sound great; in fact the latter reminded me of the Bachman Books (Stephen King nom de plume which was 4 short stories one being The Running man and the other being The Long Race, both execellent about 'entertaining the masses' with 'fatal' consequences for the losers.

The first one sounds a bit wierd but incredible to ahve an actor ad-libbing the whole thing!

Saturday, 13 October, 2007  
Blogger ur.alcuin@googlemail.com said...

Actually, my Mum pronounces it Al-coo-in. Some people pronounce it Al-kyoo-in, Alkan and even, in the case of my stepson's mate Timur (who is Turkish) Al-June.

It's not just one actor ad libbing, it's the whole cast. The director couldn't provide a script to the other actors because Kenedi Hasani can't read and so there's no guarantee they'll get their cues. I think it makes for a more realistic film.

Saturday, 13 October, 2007  
Blogger Crispin Heath said...

I'm not surprised you didn't go to the cinema for 14 years after watching the Net. You presumably felt cinema had died as an artform after watching that.

Monday, 15 October, 2007  
Blogger Span Ows said...

hahaha...Sandra Bollocks..quite cute though.

I guess you're right, if all the actors are ad-libbing it makes for interesting filming!...

Wednesday, 17 October, 2007  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I do think you cinematic tastes are far too refined! You've got to get down and dirty.

I actually really enjoyed 'The 300' on DVD, largely because it's a graphic novel on film. It LOOKS tremendous and has more story than I had legislated for!

Oh and I still haven't done my 'poggerdi jib' blog post. (Literally broken tongue).

Why don't you look in over at the other place now and then Alcuin?

Since me and your mum do your name the same! :)

Thursday, 18 October, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting

Wednesday, 21 November, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home