Thursday, January 01, 2009

Onward and Upward

Today is new year's day and the time has come for new year's resolutions to remain unkept. As is my wont, I have failed in all three of my 2008 New Year's resolutions. I have not been to an introductory Krav Maga session. I do not speak Bulgarian. My next novel remains unwritten (although I have extensive notes for several).

The problem with writing a novel is the stamina it requires. Basically, I would have to keep writing every day, adding a few pages and never approaching the precious goal. The trouble is, I find I have to have substantively written the thing in my head before I can sit down to keep writing it every day, with a point to aim for and a known finishing point (both of which I have found invaluable in my career as an amateur long-distance walker).

Any resolution is likely to end up as an excuse to beat myself up, which in turn results in me putting down the work and abandoning it. So. I've thought of an easier resolution. I will try to write here every day. This is today's entry. In addition, whenever I feel able, I shall write another post with a memory and another containing some random writing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home